The What, Why and When of Sales Promotion
Why run Sales Promotions?
- To create excitement and interest in an offer.
- To provide a campaign theme and launch platform.
- To enhance media content, advertising and marketing communication.
- To motivate the purchase and usage of products and services.
- To build trade liaison and rapport (by supporting retailers/resellers).
- To maintain brand awareness and product focus via cyclical campaigns.
What Sales Promotions work best?
- The simplest ideas are usually the best and most successful. Follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). Uncomplicated promotions that are easy to enter work best.
- Promotions that Sell like Hell. All trade communication and consumer advertising and Point of sale material should do work hard to sell a theme - quickly and simply. Bold graphics and punchy messages work best online, on-air, in-store and outdoor.
- Well planned promotions. The A to Z’s should have been covered before the trade or consumer get involved. Sales force input is important from the outset. Once the promotion commences, feedback from the field is essential - what are the trade and consumers saying about the promo? How can ongoing advertising and communication be adapted or intensified?
- In-store - products sell well from off-location displays, so promotions should strive for this and encourage taking high traffic and associated product areas wherever possible.
- Special event association also works well for some products.
- Local event opportunities are also important and worthy of consideration.
- On-pack offers can work well for certain products. What they are really doing is adding value to one product versus another.
Other proven sales promotional ideas include:
- Sweepstakes – with daily, weekly monthly and mega prize draws.
- Scratch and Win / digital games for high engagement.
- Refunds (Cash-Backs), discounts, bonus offers, gifts with purchase.
- Free sampling/trial sampling.
- Trade incentives and competitions.
When to promote
In general, we should never stop promoting. Marketers should promote regularly and at times of greatest opportunity.
- New product/pack launches.
- Seasonal influences.
- Big occasion/special events tie-ins.
- Reinforcement of main media exposure.
- Brand share strength or weakness.
- Local promotion opportunities.
The secret to successful sales promotion?
The secret of successful sales promotion is dependant on the coordination, interest, enthusiasm and participation of: marketers, retailers, consumers and the sales team.
Consider SAM Sales and Marketing as a strategic partner for sales promotion…
SAM has a proven track record in developing effective strategies for Trade Consumer Promotions. SAM understand the triggers that retailers, distributors, sales teams and consumers respond to.
SAM’S comprehensive Sales Promotion services include:
- Promotion Strategy.
- Trade Incentives.
- Consumer Promotion management.
- Creative Theming for use in all forms of advertising content.
- Permit applications for Australian competitions and N.Z compliance.
- Competition entry data capture via microsites and SMS.
- Interactive games / applications.
- Prize draws - manual and electronic. Prize sourcing and fulfilment.
- Interactive Promotion: SMS, Web, QR Codes etc.
- Point of Sale design, print and distribution.
- Promotion tracking and reporting.
If you’re planning a promotion feel free to contact Peter McKinnon for a complimentary consultation:
(03)9 646 5644